Sunday, February 19, 2006

Warm Mushroom Salad

This one is straight from Ina Garten, the Julia to my Julie, and yes I am petitioning her to adopt me, or at least take me under her wing. I would miss my family a lot if she were to make me her own, but I would be oh-so-well-fed.


Anyway, I liked this salad, but had a few minor issues. One, I found it to be a bit salty, I think because of the prosciutto. Two, it would be lovely, I think, for lunch on its own, because it is so flavorful that it will certainly compete with anything you serve alongside. This is my own fault, though, I got a little excited about trying it and didn't want to wait for lunch.

Warm Mushroom Salad
with Ina Garten's inspiration
serves 2

.5 pound cremini (Baby Bella) mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
.5 tsp sea salt
.25 tsp freshly ground pepper
two handfuls baby spinach
one handful watercress
4 slices prosciutto
1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
a few oven dried tomatoes, drained and julienned

In a large skillet, melt the butter and half the olive oil until foamy. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and saute for another 2-3 minutes.


Meanwhile, arrange lettuces on two lunch plates and divide prosciutto among them. When the mushrooms are cooked, add the vinegar and remaining olive oil to the hot pan. Spoon the mushrooms and pan sauce on top of the lettuces and prosciutto, sprinkle tomatoes over. If desired, shave some parmesan and sprinkle some flat leaf parsley over the top, and serve while mushrooms are still warm.

It's a pretty salad, but there is a lot going on. I plan to try it again the next time I have someone over for lunch--what do you say, Mom?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no!!! I put my petition in a year ago to be adopted by Ina. Did you get yours notorized?

Very nice salad.

Stephanie said...

That is an incredible looking salad. Fantastic!

Marianne said...

Noterized and signed by Jefferey to boot! But I'll share, I'm cool with that. I think there is room in the Hamptons for a few devotees.

Skeezix said...

That salad sounds amazing. How could I have shunned the mushrooms for so many years? How?