Monday, February 27, 2006

Open-Faced Tuna Burgers with Wasabi Mayonnaise


Upon finding some especially gorgeous-looking tuna at my fish counter, I was struck with the idea to recreate a dish I really liked at a restaurant I worked for a few years back. I could only remember the basic idea of the dish, so it was fun to try and put it together on my own. I think you will enjoy the melange of flavors, the healthy leaning, and the altogether lovely dish this makes. Enjoy!

Open-Faced Seared Tuna Burgers with Wasabi Mayonnaise
makes 4 small open-faced burgers (2-3 servings)


for the Wasabi Mayonnaise:

1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp sour cream
wasabi paste (use as much as you prefer)
fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped

Mix all ingredients well, set aside to let flavors mix. Adjust seasoning, then use to top burgers--it's also pretty tasty as a dip for the sweet potato crisps!


for the burgers:

2 sushi-quality tuna fillets (about 1 lb.)
3 Tbps Tamari/soy sauce
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
.25 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
4 small French bread rolls, sliced and lightly toasted
prepared seaweed salad (optional)


Chop your tuna fillets semi-coarsely (a good knife is going to do you well here, I recommend the Wustof Santuko). In a bowl, mix with 3 Tbsp of the soy sauce, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, the rice vinegar, coriander, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, but gently, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. If your tuna is good quality, take a taste of it raw--wouldn't this make great tartare?


Form the tuna mixture into 4 patties--they will be very loose, you might want to stick them into the freezer for 20 minutes or so after forming. Heat a splash of olive oil with the remaining sesame oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.

Carefully sear the patties for 2 minutes per side (if you are gentle they will stay together), remove from heat. I really think these are best rare, so be careful to not over cook. Well, unless you like it that way.


Top each roll half with some seaweed salad, then top with burgers and wasabi mayonnaise; serve. We ate these up with steamed edamame and a pile of yellow sweet potato crisps alongside. Pretty freaking great, if I don't say so myself.

4 comments:

Skeezix said...

Oh god, I love fresh tuna and this is a great take on it. I've been looking for a new way to prepare tuna and you have just made it to the top of my list.

Anonymous said...

I know I begged you to post this, but now I am having misgivings. I am terrified of searing; even the word gives me the h.j.'s. Can I bake these instead?

XO
LC

Marianne said...

If you bake them, you will likely over cook them, since tuna should be rare. I really think you could do this, it takes no time and theres no opening and closing the oven door, second guessing, or over cooking. It's done in 3 minutes! I could talk you through it?

Stephanie said...

Lovely. I love the combination of tuna with wasabi.