Thursday, February 16, 2006

Project: Oven Dried Grape Tomatoes

Does this happen to anyone else? You pick up some produce, like say, a $5 pint of organic grape tomatoes, only to accidentally hide them behind something like a big canister of flour. I found these tomatoes late last night when I was cleaning the kitchen, and they had already started to wrinkle. I knew they wouldn't last the night, and I really couldn't bear to know I had wasted not only the food, but the money.


So, I sliced them in half and placed them, cut side down, on an aluminum foil wrapped cookie sheet. Then I sprinkled them with a little salt and put them in my oven, set on the lowest temperature possible (170 degrees). One thing I love about my oven the the timer, which you can set to turn off the oven after the time is reached. So, I set it on 6 hours and happily went to bed.


This morning, the tomatoes were shriveled and very fragrant. I let them cool completely and then packed them in a jar, covered with some very good olive oil. I really can't wait to make some pasta with them, or toss them on a salad.

7 comments:

LE said...

You're good. I wouldn't have thought about doing anything but sighing disgustedly and tossing them out.

Anonymous said...

Christ, you are a genius. I would have thrown them in a plastic sack, knotted the ties, then gone about my life being the wasteful no-gooder I so obviously am.

For real, this is a great blog. I hope you chop Rachael Ray's head off and toss it with EVOO, just for fun.

Marianne said...

Haaaaa! Oh my, that's quite a visual to produce, Heather.

foodiechickie said...

Hello. Your site is amazing! How long would the tomatoes last?

Marianne said...

Covered in olive oil and refrigerated, they last quite a while. I used some just a few days ago and they still tasted great. Thanks!

foodiechickie said...

Thanks much!

wheresmymind said...

Tomato pesto is so in your future!