Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Cheese Sandwich"

A lot of fuss has been made lately over an article written by Pete Wells for Food & Wine Magazine's online edition. In the article Wells disparages "cheese sandwich" food blogs, where the content runs towards the pedantic and often features musings including the question, "Do you like cheese?"


I, for one, have only been writing about food for a couple of weeks now, and I can't say I'm too up in arms over this article. I started writing about my cooking for myself--I wanted a place to keep track of my hits and misses. The fact that some people enjoy reading what I write about it just gravy (pardon the pun).


Regardless, I made my own "cheese sandwich" for lunch today, and it was wonderful. Good, crusty French bread with roasted turkey, thinley sliced crisp pears, brie and Jarlsburg cheeses, and a tart plum mustard I whipped up. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and heated it for 15 minutes in the oven, and lo, it was good. Even if it isn't very entertaining to read about.

6 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Looks great to me. It's great you're already getting in the spirit of the food blog community.

Marianne said...

Wow, thank you so much! I have to admit, reading your blog made me want to contribute, even if only a little bit.

Stephanie said...

Yummy sammich. Hey, by the way, your roast chicken recipe looks exactly like my mum's! I loved it so much I once eviscerated the whole chicken single handedly! Yums.

Alanna Kellogg said...

I'd eat that sandwich! Nice work all around -- Alanna

Anonymous said...

Tart plum mustard you say! Where is the recipe for this delicious sounding condiment?

Marianne said...

It couldn't have been easier, really: mix some good dijon mustard with sour plum jam (also wonderful with raspberry).