Monday, February 06, 2006

Pierogi with Fried Onions

Comfort food. It is very cold outside, I have no plans or reason to get out of the house, and I'm not completely ready to get back on the healthy food wagon after the weekend's debauchery. The Mr. and I are housesitting for my parents, and when I found the package of potato and cheddar pierogis in their freezer I knew that it was exactly what I wanted for dinner.


And they were good, comforting and warm and exactly what you would expect. But, I admit that I have now been inspired to make these soft, starch-filled pillows from scratch, so I've put together and recipe and have it on the agenda for the next couple of weeks.

For now, though, I share the photos for one of my favorite comfort foods. The fried onions are really very simple, and I think the best topping. Melt a chunk of butter and a splash of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. The oil brings the smoking point of the butter down, so you can have the great flavor of butter without burning it. Toss a few handfuls of very thinly slivered onions in and cook for a minute or two. Then, toss in your pierogies and some salt and pepper. They will take 8-10 minutes to cook, if frozen, and by that time the onions should be chestnut brown and cripsy delightful. Plop the pierogies in a shallow bowl, scoop some buttery onions on top, and finish off with a dollop of sour cream, it you wish. Chow down, and do try to eat a salad or something. For balance and all that.



I think I can say, with conviction, that things are going to lighten up for a bit. Other than the creme brulee I have planned for Valentine's day (oh yes), I am taking a nice break from sweets and baking.

In the next few weeks I have big plans to makes some family and friend provided recipes, so stay tuned--it's about to get crazy delicious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really REALLY good with fried onions and apples.

XO
LC

amy corinne said...

Mrs. C, I'm sorry I haven't fixed the freakydeak GIANT TEXT problem. Tomorrow!

LE said...

Now I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow!

I also like frying up red and green peppers, too, and topping everything with cottage cheese and salsa.

Unknown said...

You need bacon as well. They're the best with bacon and onions.