Thursday, March 02, 2006

Sticky Country Style Ribs

Like last night’s offering, this is another recipe I wrote about without pictures. After tonight, it’s back to recipes none of you have read, although these are from the first day of my site’s inception, so it shouldn’t be old hat just yet.


I have made these outrageous Flintstone-worthy ribs several times now, and they never fail to impress. They are so flavorful, and they fill your house with the kind of smell that makes dinner guests really happy for the invitation, so they were a natural choice for tonight. If you do serve these to guests, or in general, make sure you have some napkins on hand--the name doesn't lie. I served these to our lovely friends with scallion fried rice and blistered green beans. Individual lemon souffles topped off a gastronomically perfect evening of food, drink, and conversation.



One last note: I am giving you the recipe I normally make, but since we have guests tonight, and said guests gifted me with a huge box of gorgeous organic beef ribs, I decided to tweak this favorite recipe and list it for you again. I doubled the marinade and made 8 lbs. of ribs.


Sticky Country Style Ribs
serves 3-4

3 lb. country style pork ribs
6 Tbsp. soy sauce
6 Tbsp. light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. finely grated ginger
2 cloves finely minced garlic
few dashes crushed red pepper flakes


Place ribs in a large pot of cold water--the beef ribs were so big I finally had a reason to use my 24 quart All-Clad stockpot! Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes (this is kind of gross, to be honest); drain. Pat the ribs dry with paper towels and return to the rinsed, dry pot. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, wisking well until mixed. Pour over the ribs, turning a few times to coat completely. Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (if you are using beef ribs, I recommend heating the oven to 350 and cooking for 15-20 minutes more).



Place the marinated ribs in a single layer in a large roasting pan lined with non-stick aluminum foil, reserving the leftover marinade. Roast for 45 minutes or until dark and sticky (it should smell unbearably good by now). Baste with the extra marinade periodically.


Around here, any leftovers tend to disappear before I can do anything with them, but I keep thinking that the leftover meat, if shredded, would make a really delicious Asian barbeque sandwich, with maybe some sort of Napa cabbage slaw on top. Maybe this summer? Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, gorgeous photos. I am not a fan of raw meat, but I love the striations in the beef. Wonderful work, MA.

XO
LC

deviBride said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! I am actually going to make this for my Christmas Eve dinner. For some reason, sticky ribs with a really good wine, some mashed potatoes and gravy sounds like the perfect Christmas meal.

Once again, thanks!

Heather (The Menu Mama) said...

I just wanted to agree with the first two comments, that sounds like a perfect Christmas Eve dinner and yeah, first time I've ever thought a picture of raw meat looked beautiful!!!