Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Warm Pineapple Chutney


An easy dinner tonight, because it references one of my staples, Jerk Chicken. I simply cut the jerk seasoning rub in half and used it to coat a pork tenderloin. The result? Succulent, spiced pork that I paired with a warm pineapple chutney, and it was incredible--adding some tang and sweetness to the rich spices. Just the thing for this unseasonably cold evening--but I think a cold pineapple salsa will be just the thing come summer.


Jerk Pork Tenderloin with Warm Pineapple Chutney
serves 3-4

for the warm pineapple chutney:

2 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
.5 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tbsp dark brown sugar (adjust to your liking)
fat pinch salt
1 Tbsp olive oil


Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, until just beginning to brown. Add remaining ingredients, stir well to combine. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 3-5 minutes more, until mixture thickens up a bit.


for the pork:

1 Tbsp paprika
.75 Tbsp garlic powder
.75 tsp ground allspice
.5 tsp ground nutmeg
.25 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less, depending on preferred spice level)
1 tsp kosher salt
pinch tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of quarter a lime
1 Tbsp molasses
pork tenderloin

Mix all of the ingredients (except for the pork), in a small bowl. Once well combined, slather the pork tenderloin on all sides and place in a greased baking dish. Let marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roast pork for 25-30 minutes, until a thermometer registers the internal temperature at 160 degrees (still rosy pink in the center). Let the pork stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with warm pineapple chutney on top, Thyme Rice Pilaf, and steamed broccoli.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Marianne,

That sounds great! I've got a tenderloin thawing at the moment and I may have to try this.

And as for bread and a KA, it's the only way to go. BTW, I find that 8 minutes kneading is about right for most breads -- and I always finish up with a hand knead because until you handle the dough you can't be sure it's right.

Marianne said...

Yeah, I handled it a little bit but next time I'll be brave and do more. I'm going to check out your site--do you have any bread recipes?

BTW, I bought rhubarb yesterday and I'm making a tart today!

Anonymous said...

Amazing Recipe, I have made before and loved it. I also add butter garlic rice to the chutney afterwards makes a nice mix of flavors.. I'm going to show this recipe off to my mom tonight... By far the best jerk pork I have ever made...
Thank you Thank you
Aaron from Canada!!!

Unknown said...

I have a question on the directions for the chutney. When you say add the oil and saute until brown, did you mean add the oil, add pineapple and saute until brown? If not, why would the oil turn brown?

Marianne said...

Yes, the pineapple, sorry about that!