Thursday, March 09, 2006

Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce

Ah, some ideas burn so bright until execution--isn't that always the way? I should back up, I have read several variations of this very dish, and every time, I am tempted and intrigued. And, in the end, it was very good and I cleaned my pasta bowl. BUT, I can tell this is something I will need to tweak to perfect.


Changes I would make:

1. Use less pumpkin in each ravioli

2. Use one wonton wrapper, folded in half, instead of two placed on top of each other

3. Cook pasta a little less so it can hold up to...

4. ...being sauteed in the sauce instead of pouring the sauce over

5. Serve with a crunchy savory garnish, maybe crisped prosciutto?

6. LESS BUTTER!

I altered my recipe to account for these changes where I could.

That said, this was lovely, and worth the effort. I used some frozen pumpkin puree out of the freezer (thanks, mom and dad!), but you could roast your own baking pumpkin or butternut squash and puree the flesh. Enjoy!


Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Brown Butter Sauce
serves 4

for the ravioli:

1 cup pumpkin or squash puree
1 cup ricotta cheese (use fresh if you've got it, otherwise drain the storebought cheese in cheesecloth for an hour)
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp basalmic vinegar
1 Tbsp dark molasses
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
.25 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
wonton wrappers

for the sage brown butter sauce:

4 Tbsp butter
6 diced sage leaves
4 large whole sage leaves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread squash puree on a baking sheet and place in oven to dry, 10-15 minutes. You want your puree to be at a mashed-potato consistency. Scrape into a large mixing bowl.


Heat 1 Tbsp butter in a small sautee pan over medium heat until it begins to brown. Remove from heat, swirl in basalmic vinegar and molasses. Add to the pumpkin along with the ricotta, Parmesan, and nutmeg. Season to taste with the salt and pepper, chill for a couple of hours. At this point the filling can be refrigerated for 1-2 days.


Lay out your wonton wrappers--I use wonton wrappers because I don't make pasta. If you make pasta, knock yourself out. Put a small mound (abut half a Tbsp.) of the chilled pumpkin filling in the center of a wonton. Using a small pastry brush, moisten all of the edges with a little cold water. Fold the wonton in half, firmly pressing the seam, forming either a triangle or a rectangle. Repeat until you run out of wrappers or filling. You can freeze these uncooked raviolis, in a single layer, for 1 month. Cook the raviolis in gently boiling water for 2 minutes.


While the raviolis are cooking, melt the remaining butter with the sage and a pinch of salt until it foams and begins to brown. Remove whole sage leaves and drain on a paper towel (they will be a crispy, pretty garnish). Continue to swirl the butter sauce until it turns a rich chestnut brown.


Now, you can either spoon the sacue over your raviolis in their serving bowls, or you can toss the ravioli in the butter before serving. Either way, serve with grated Parmesan cheese, a couple of fried sage leaves and a nice green salad. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

That looks fantastic! I actually saw this recipe on Epicurious before though. I think ... or somewhere like that, but never made it. Am still slight intimidated by ravioli for some reason. Which is odd since I know how to make wantons ...

Anyway, I think that's a fab recipe and all your changes sound spot on.

Marianne said...

You should try it out! If you can make wontons you're already ahead of the game. It was very tasty, if a little rich from too much butter.

LE said...

I definitely would not make my pasta from scratch--not if I could buy pumpkin ravioli at an Italian deli. I am just not that talented.

I've made something like this before, including chopped hazelnuts in with the sage. Maybe in a cream sauce rather than brown butter? Delicious, but definitely very rich.

Skeezix said...

Mmm. I perfect use for all those wonton wrappers I ;ve in my fridge from your goat cheese purses.

Anonymous said...

MA, I love these photographs especially. I can't wait to try this!

LC

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I've tried making something similar to this before and it turned out less than satisfying (in texture and execution, not flavor) despite the recipe assuring me that it would be so simple and fool-proof. Oh well, we keep trying and striving towards perfection, right?

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those raviolis are FANTASTIC! The Wonton wrappers make it so light and the butter sage sauce complements it so nicely. My family raves about them. I doubled the recipe and made extra so I can freeze them and use them at Thanksiving, maybe as an appetizer dish. Thanks for the recipe!

Lorena said...

i had this dish at la boheme in hollywood and longed to find a comparable recipe as soon as i got home. thank you for posting this! just an fyi: if you're looking for something crispy to throw in, la boheme made it with japanese pumpkin and candied the seeds to give it that "crisp" that you may be looking for. can't wait to make it! thanks :)

chefk said...

Made this tonight. Left out the step of baking the pumpkin and it was still awsome. Looked for a long time for a filling that had some sweetness, and this did the trick.