Sunday, March 19, 2006

Creamy Roasted Vegetable Curry

The inspiration for this recipe came to me from Erin at Erin Eats, a great blog full of healthy recipes, including calorie counts. I took her recipe for Low-Calorie Creamy Curry Chicken and tweaked it to make a smaller portion, as well as a few other adjustments. The roasted vegetables were fantastic with the creamy curry sauce, and that same silky sauce was glorious over rice.


I left out a few things (like celery, I just don't care for it sometimes), and replaced the onion with some leek. The leek was an unexpected twist, but the sweetness really works nicely with the spicy curry. I would have used onion, but I've had a bad run of luck lately, buying two bags that rotted within a week--I need to talk to my grocer about that. Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying that you can sub out an onion for the leek.


Creamy Roasted Vegetable Curry
serves 2-3

1 boneless chicken breast, cubed*
2 medium carrots, chopped*
1 red or orange pepper, chopped*
1 medium leek (white and light green part), sliced*
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
4 oz. sliced bamboo shoots
4 oz. sliced water chestnuts
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, cubed*
.5 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbsp oyster-flavored sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
curry powder (or paste), to taste
olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1 cup cooked rice, any variety

*I chopped all of these into about the same smallish bite-size. I wanted to be sure that you could get several flavors into each bite, and it worked really well. If you chop into a larger dice, you will need to adjust cook times.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the potato chunks in a little olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and place them in a baking dish. Roast them for 10 minutes, since they take a little longer to cook than the other vegetables. Toss the pepper, carrot, and leek in a bit more olive oil and salt, and add them to the pan with the par-roasted potatoes. Roast for 30 minutes more, until tender and just beginning to brown around the edges. The leeks might get a little more brown than everything else, but they are crispy and wonderful. I kind of want to eat roasted leeks every day now.


Back on track, set aside your roasted vegetables. Season your chicken with a little salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat up a splash or two of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken chunks on all sides, then reduce heat to medium. Add the garlic, shoots, and water chestnuts, saute for about 1 minute, until warmed through and fragrant. Be careful to not burn the garlic.


In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and surry paste/powder (I used a combination of the two). Adjust curry seasonings to desire spice level, and add a splash of water to thin. Pour over the chicken mixture, toss well to combine. Add mushrooms and roasted vegetables to the pan, toss several times to coat in the sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes more, until everything is warmed through and the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Erin Eats said...

I'm glad you liked it - I'll make sure and try it with leeks, I use them a lot, anyway.

And yes, avocados are definitely a gift from the gods.. I can't think of a single food I love more - not even chocolate!