Saturday, April 29, 2006

Bacon Stuffed Burgers

Food writers of the world, I feel that I must warn you. If you are trying to write a grocery list, planning to create a meal that will challenge and inspire you, do not, I repeat: do NOT talk to my friend Veronica. Because sweet Veronica, in her lilting and oh-so-charming southern accent, will tell you all about the amazing hamburger she just ate, and you will be able to think of nothing else.


I really fear that I'm becoming a kind of dull cook lately. Don't get me wrong, everything is delicious, but it borders on the mundane to read about. I need to awaken another part of my culinary multiple personality, the side that makes fresh ricotta, or who has been known to spend a weekend simmering beef stock.

Or maybe I should just shut my trap and enjoy this incredibly delicious hamburger. What made it so delicious? Well, in a fit of mad genius*, I decided to crumble up some very nice bacon and mix it into the ground beef. I know, how could I do such a thing? It was so good. It made the meat smoky and moist and what can't bacon improve? Seriously, I want to know.

Slathered with Lemon Avocado Mayo and topped with crisp lettuce and thinly sliced tomato, this was a work of art. Well, maybe not, but it was a work of beef, especially when cradled by a homemade bun. A side of perfectly smokey and charred grilled vegetables were a healthy and fitting complement to the bastion of cholesterol taking up half of the plate. Put bacon in your burger. It's really good.

Now I have to go out and make a spun sugar birdcage or something, lest I completely lose what little respect I've garnered.


*I hardly think that I was the first person to come up with this brilliant innovation, but I'm rather enjoying the view from my high horse, so I refuse to Google it and find out. Don't rain on my parade!

13 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

It sounds very good to me, and this is the first I've heard about it.

Skeezix said...

Oh god. That burger looks amazing.

Lis said...

There is nothing dull about a good burger. They are hard to come by, but when they do.. it's something you'll crave over and over again. Yours looks absolutely yummy and will definitely be made this summer as soon as the grill makes it's appearance again!

PS - I left you a couple links to check out in my comments.. go have a look if you haven't seen these yet - you're sure to get a giggle =)

Anonymous said...

stuffed burgers are my absolute favorite! it's really the trick to making the best burgers in the world. hmmm... maybe a burger for lunch today?!?

Anonymous said...

People search the world for a good burger. All the local magazines do it at least once a year, so you've got nothing to feel guilty about.

Anonymous said...

Not only does the burger sound delish, but it's a visual feast as well! Boring, my arse!

Now, to find me some mince to crumble my bacon into...mmm!

Marianne said...

I love all of these burger lovers! Good to know that the bar isn't set unrealistically high.

LE said...

Oh holy artery-clogging heaven! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, MA, it's so sweet of you to offer to make these for me when I come visit you in July! Of course, it's only fair for Veronica to help cook, since my new craving is all her fault.

Ledoux said...

Marianne,

that looks absolutely amazing. In Europe, a good burger is so scarce it's worth it's weight in gold.

Your blog, on the whole, is mouth-watering and artful at the same time. I'm glad to have found you back in such a delight way and will stay a loyal reader...!


Love,

Celia Ledoux

Elizabeth said...

well, I know what's for dinner on tonight....

yum!

Marianne said...

That's it, you are all invited for a big open-invitation barbeque at the Canada compound this summer.

Celia! I am beyond thrilled to hear from you. I am going to try emailing you, assuming you still have your old address. Bless the internet.

Anonymous said...

That looks like one really delish burger!!!