Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Perfect Vinaigrette

If you've ever had the pleasure of traveling to France, this is the closest I had ever had to the simple, creamy vinaigrette you will get at nearly any classic bistro. It is silky and the perfect balance of tangy and savory. I love it drizzled over a nice mixture of greens, or tossed in a pile of buttery escarole (I love escarole, can you tell?). You could, of course, serve it with more complicated salads, but I like it so much with simpler combinations.

Notice, there is a raw egg yolk in this recipe. While I tend to think that if you use a nice fresh egg, you've got nothing to worry about, you can find pasturized eggs in a lot of grocery stores. But really, the egg yolk does give it that extra something (and no, that something is not salmonella!), so don't leave it out. Remember, there is raw egg in almost all traditional Ceasar salad dressings as well, so it isn't an uncommon practice.

Perfect Vinaigrette
serves 6 to 8

3 Tbsp vinegar (I recommend champagne, white or red wine, or tarragon vinegar)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp finely minced or grated garlic
1 large egg yolk
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

I keep a couple of glass bottles on hand for the purpose of making salad dressing. Should you have one on hand, just dump all of the ingredients in and give it a thorough shaking. If you don't, whisk together all of the ingredients save the oil, then slowly drizzle the oil in, whisking as you go.

Toss the dressing with greens and serve immediately.



Mrs. C.

5 comments:

ZigKvetch said...

I just wanted to take this moment to apologize for drooling all over your blog. Sorry about that.

Amblus said...

Yo, how long can I keep the dressing? Is it a one time deal or can you keep the remains in the fridge for a while?

Marianne said...

Aw, Lori, I'm flattered.

Amblus, I usually make the dressing and eat salad for three nights, and I haven't had any problems so far. I made the dressing mentioned in this entry on Sunday and finished it up last night.

Anonymous said...

Excellent recipe, I love it, just like in Paris, I also added the caramelized pecans found on this site to a mixed of greens with this vinaigrette and it is heaven.

Daniel

Anonymous said...

Yes..... finally. So simple but so good.