Monday, October 02, 2006

Open-Faced Falafel Burgers

So, as I mentioned briefly earlier, I've been trying to watch my calorie intake these days. I truly hate the word "diet", but I guess that's what I've been on. Why? Well, my reviewing job makes it my business to eat a lot of really great food, and I can't afford new pants. Therefore, dieting must be done so I can continue wearing the nice pants I already own.


So, because of this new endeavor, I've taken up an interest in Cooking Light magazine. While following recipes to the letter isn't my idea of fun, I have found that sticking to their recipes gives me a clear idea of how many calories I'm taking in, and while it may not get the creative juices flowing, it does keep me in my current clothing.


And so, a recent CL recipe attempt was their Open-Faced Falafel Burgers, which really turned out to be fantastic. Really hearty and satisfying, healthy, and pretty to boot. Plus, I used a surplus of sesame seeds and made my own tahini instead of using store-bought stuff, so I was able to feel minorly inventive. I highly recommend this recipe.

7 comments:

wheresmymind said...

I heart Falafel...maybe I'll give this a whirl!

Anonymous said...

Hot damn, I happen to have ingredients on hand for these. I believe we will be having them tonight!

Anonymous said...

I need to try this and I am happy to see you updating!

Lis said...

I'm so happy you are back!!

I am so making that three onion tart, dear God does it look good ;)

Never had falafel before, and I have to admit not a big chickpea fan - but, of course, you make something I'm not so keen on sound and look fantastic!

Tell those magazine people you've got some diehard fans that can't wait to read your reviews so they'd better get on fixing that website soon! :D

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Falafel is one of my favorite street foods. We have a few really good middle eastern markets in Rhode Island, and I can get great falafel sandwiches for lunch. Yum!

Anonymous said...

wow - I LOVE falafel - I’m just back from Paris and ate there the BEST falafel ever -
your burger looks very yummy and promising...can’t wait to try it!

LovelyLisa7796 said...

i have a dumb question, what is Falafel???? thanks-Lisa